Sunday, March 12, 2006

90s Music Wasn't so Bad After All

This article lists the top 100 albums of the 1990s, and does a pretty good job of it. I'll list my specific gripes below about some exclusions from the list, but overall it reminded me that while pop music in the 90s (think "Color me Badd") sucked in a hilarious way, there were some really good albums and new artists that emerged.


Should have made the cut:

  • Blackstar. You include DJ Shadow, and can't remember Mos Def and Kweli??
  • Black Crowes. At least "Southern Harmony Musical Companion", and probably "Amorica".
  • Alice in Chains "Dirt". They were the best grunge rock band of the 90s IMHO.
  • Medeski Martin & Wood: "It's a jungle in here", or maybe "Combustication". Either way, the best new Jazz group of the 90s.
  • Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"
  • Latyrx
  • Jurassic 5 "Quality Control"

Awesome Inclusions:

  • Beck "Odelay"
  • Tribe Called Quest: "Low End Theory", "Midnight Marauders"
  • Gza: Liquid Swords. The best Wu-tang album IMO.
  • Dr. Octagon. Freaky / Funny collaboration of Kool Keith and Dan the Automator (of Gorillaz fame).

Awesome Exclusions:

  • Phish.

Overrated:

  • Weezer. A couple of catchy tunes, but what's the big deal?
  • Dj Shadow "Entroducing". I have this album, and it's just "OK". I don't get this being in the top 10, especially given the exclusion of some other notable hip hop.

Stuff I'm curious about. There are some artists listed that I've heard of, but never really checked out, so now I'm tempted to finally give em' a listen:

  • Wilco
  • Built to Spill

No comments: