Sunday, April 02, 2006

firefox crash recovery: crucial on OS X

I like firefox. I've grown accustomed to its features on Windows, Linux, and, since last year when I got an Apple Powerbook, on Mac OS X too.

I would use Safari, but a couple of key applications (gmail and google reader) don't work as well on it. However, while I haven't had any trouble on Windows or Linux, firefox crashes about once a day on the Mac. This isn't terrible, aside from losing the 10 tabs I have open at any given time.

Fear no more, firefox crash recovery is here. Nothing too special, it just reopens any windows and/or tabs you had open the next time you open firefox after a crash.

I also stumbled upon another use of crash recover when VPNing into work. I tried to open firefox remotely, and it complained that it was already open. So I manually killed it, and when I opened it, all of my tabs from work were open! I usually have 10-12 work related docs open, so a nice bonus when working from home.

No comments: