Sunday, November 12, 2006

TODO: check out hiveminder

Hiveminder is a slick piece of free online software I came across earlier today while looking for a way to keep a to-do list.

At first, I tried using google spreadsheets to keep a list, but it didn't work so well. For one, there is no natural way to prioritize or show dependencies between tasks. Once I started adding a column with a numerical priority, I knew I was trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

After searching around, I came across a tag on lifehacker on to-do list software. After a brief perusal, it seemed hiveminder was potentially the best.

Anyways, after using it for all of twelve hours, I don't think I need to look any further. It has a clean interface, allowing you to quickly jot down a bunch of tasks free form, after which you can go back and flesh out any individual task with due dates, priorities and tags. You can say one task must be done before or after another, after which the main list only shows the first task in that dependency chain. And perhaps most awesomely, you can create a group list, which I'm already using to keep a common list of household and bill-pay type tasks with my wife.

Gad I love the internet.

No comments: